Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Girlfriends & Dudes ~ Sprint Triathlon

Last Sunday I competed in my first Sprint Triathlon!! I had a blast and exceeded my expectations. I thought I would finish in 2 hours and 15 minutes and ended up finishing in 1 hour 47 minutes - Swim (1/2 mile in 16.26 min), T1 2.39 min, Bike (12 miles in 47.36 min), T2 2.08 min, Run (3.1 miles in 39.52  min).  Think I did pretty well for my first one!

I did the event with my best buddy and trainer Brooke (love her so much!!). That's her on the left. I'm the one with the cheesy grin on the right. I tell you I could not smile enough that day, I was so excited!!

The thrill of doing something so outside of my comfort zone was amazing!!

Just a little disappointed that I still look so chubby, after losing 96 pounds. But my buddy Brooke said "Nobody looks good in a wet suit" I guess I trust her on that. I just don't like it. Oh well!

The event organizer Sherri McMillan sent us one of her favorite quotes:


 "What you get by crossing the finish line is not as important as what you become."  

What's most important is that when you cross that finish line, it positively impacts your whole life and changes you for the better in every way - physically, mentally and spiritually!  It develops your character, your self esteem and the belief in yourself. It gives you the strength to know that you can do anything you put your mind to!

I have noticed, now that I "live" my life and do things I never thought I would do, that when I "cross the finish line" on whatever I try, that it really does impact my life. I am changed and I am better in every way!!

I encourage you to set a goal and try something you never thought you could do. I mean something that's you've dreamed to do.  Make a plan, keep to it and cross that finish line!!! Trust me, you will have no regrets. It will change your life and you will become a better you!!

My next goal is weight loss!! I will lose another 30 pounds by the end of October. I've got my plan, I have my support group in place, I'm ready to go.....and most importantly I have my eyes on that finish line and I'm going to make it!!

Let me know if you are willing to take the challenge with me. It will change your life!!!

Have a fit day!!





9 comments:

  1. Wow. Great job on the triathalon. Good luck with 30 pounds in three months. That, too, is a lofty goal.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that smile of accomplishment! Great job! I did a sprint race once and only once - I am not much of a swimmer. My husband kept telling me "you can't put your foot down in a lake!"

    I was doing fine, until a woman swam right into me and I went under the water unexpectedly (I was doing the back stroke at the time).

    I freaked out, the lifeguard gave me a noodle - I literally was almost to the end, and when I went to hand the noodle back, he said "you can keep it!" The look of joy on my husbands face when I got out of the water was priceless! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love this post!! (and Biz's comment too). There was a complete change in the trajectory of my life when I crossed the finish line to my first half. I can.not.imagine doing a triathlon. Love the quote. I can't wait to get back to training/doing halfs. Hi5's girlie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your first triathlon! That is a significant accomplishment with great times in all three events! You have worked hard and it is all paying off.

    I know I can not lose 30 pound by October, but I will join you and try for 15 by the end of the month.

    Thanks for comments about the STP.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ps. I hope to meet up with you someday. I will be in portland for a conference in January. Let's try a meet up then!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, Joy! What a great accomplishment! You totally rocked it. That is an amazing time, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations. You are inspiring. I kinda know what you mean... I've not crossed the finish line YET but I'm on my way. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it!!! Very behind in reading and catching up today... congratulations. I live you excitement! !! Amazing with your 5ks and half marathon s!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful! A great way to spend a morning. When's the next one 8)

    7 yrs ago I was 58 lbs heavier than I am now. I have not used any diets per se but just started eating healthy and of course, running. It took me about 1 year to lose that amount.

    I like having sporting goals to look forward to..they help to resist eating too much as you know you are going to feel the extra lbs!

    You are well on your way! Relentless foward progress!

    paul

    ReplyDelete