Thursday, February 25, 2010

Destined to Fail?

Have you ever started a diet and exercise plan and failed? I have and I am really good at it. I've started many programs in the last 20 years. Each time I would experience 2 to 3 weeks of success only to crash and burn, and then my most excellent plan dies in flames. Then whatever weight loss I would have achieved, would quickly be gained back and then some. Frustration, sadness and depression would set in and it would be months or even years before I would try again. I have dieted myself up to over 273 pounds. I guess if I've had success, it would be that I am really good at failing to achieve my weight loss dreams and goals and I am really good at gaining weight.

My earliest diet plan involved starvation and running. I did great for a while, got shin splints, got discouraged and quit. I slowly gained back the weight and hit the 200 pound mark. Then I tried a weight loss plan where you buy program food and do their program counseling. I did pretty well with that, lost 40 pounds, thought I had learned enough to keep it off, stopped the program and gained that weight back plus 26 more pounds. Then I did a "low carbohydrate" diet and started swimming. Lost 18 pounds, was doing great. Then I got a really bad case of swimmers ear. Quit everything, gained back the 18 pounds and then I slowly went up to 250 pounds. Next I tried a "no fat" diet and tried a variety of exercises, lost 10 pounds and got sick with Strider (a breathing problem). Got knocked off my plan again. I gained the 10 pounds back and when I started my next weight loss plan I was at 274 pounds (the magic number).

Last year I was totally determined. Not only was I dieting, I was exercising, journaling my food, getting my water in. I was determined ~ I was going to do it!! Then while I was at my water aerobics class I thought I had had a stroke. I went through 5 months of doctor visits and tests to find out that I have Hemi Facial Spasms (Random illness). I had lost about 10 pounds during this time. But then again, the weight crept back up to 274 pounds.

Finally January of 2010 came around. For the first time, I felt like the blinders had come off. I had clarity. I knew what I needed to do. I came up with a simple and clear eating plan (not a diet), found several exercises that I love to do (water aerobics, swimming, treadmill, and biking), continued journaling my food including calories, actually got in all my water, found an accountability partner, made a focus poster and started my plan. I was doing great until about 3 weeks ago. One day my knee hurt so bad, that I could not walk. After a trip to the ER I found that I had damaged my knee, due to exercise over use! UGH! This is exactly the kind of thing that would bump me off of my plan. However this time, I decided that I was not going to let it happen to me again. So I faithfully did everything my doctor told me to do - I rested, I iced, I went to my physical therapy, I did my exercises. I am going to persevere!!! This time things were a little different. I kept going and did the things I COULD DO until my injury was healed. I still journaled my food and calories, I drank water, I had a great attitude, I lifted weights...I lifted weights...I lifted weights. Four days ago I was sent to ER again, due to a pain in my chest. The doctors thought I had had a heart attack. NOPE.....I have a Chest Wall Contusion...due to exercise over use - LIFTING WEIGHTS!!! AUGH!!!

Am I discouraged, am I sad, am I depressed? NO!!. I AM DETERMINED!!!

The Blessings...I have learned so much. I am weak in my body, but I have learned I can strengthen it. Even with set backs I have learned that I can press on ~ I don't have to quit! Seems these recent set backs have made me more determined. I have a great family and friends and I have a ton of support and encouragement. I AM LOVED! I now believe that I am worth it and I have confidence that I WILL DO THIS!!


Next step: Personal Trainer? What do you think?

Hugs!

4 comments:

  1. I believe in you! I know you can do. And because I know YOU can do that means I can do as well. Thank you Joy for your little nuggets of wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nellybellybug, How is your weight loss progress? What are your goals for weight loss / exercise? I am praying for your success!! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog through your comments on my blog. I always go back and read the first post of a blogger that's new to me.

    You sound exactly like me. Been there, done that...over and over again.

    This time sounds different for you, and hopefully me too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I always like to read about Health tips.

    I lost approx 100 Pounds weight.

    It was my biggest dream which was come true by california medical weight management.

    I had tried many things, like control on diets, workout at home, weight loss pills and many other things, but nothing helped me. I had lost lot of money.

    One day I got an offer for free medical weight loss checkup and 40% discount on Program. I went for free consultation. They ensured me that I would lose my weight, they shown me previous results, their techniques and programs. I was impressed and enrolled in the program. Within a month, I lost 25 Pounds. I was so happy. In another 4 months I lost 100 pounds.

    My all friends were surprised, that was amazing...
    I am thankful of Dr. Michael.

    Friends, if you want to lose weight, I suggest you to talk with the doctor, they offer free weight loss consultation, to contact them, you just need to make appointment online and they will call you for free advice. Best of luck....

    http://www.calmwm.com/

    ReplyDelete