Saturday, August 11, 2012

How we limit ourselves

So yesterday I rode my bike to work. It was a beautiful day and everything went well, even through the construction zone....still really scary, but doable! Well...I did have a couple of snags..First off ~ I take a shower at the office and I forgot my towel...Hey do you know how many paper hand towels it takes to dry a 200 pound body?  Well it's about 30. Just in case you ever wanted to know. The other thing I forgot was my hair dryer. Still very doable. Just a lot of drip and dry for me. The next thing that did not work was my bike computer.

I never ever realized that tiny little tool, that's supposed to help my biking experience, kind of limits me in a way. Because I did not have it, I had no idea how fast I was going. So I just rode as fast and hard as my little legs would let me. When we arrived at our destination, my Hubby commented that I had a great ride. My pace was great even through the hill climbing. Much improved from the last time we did this.

I was quite surprised, because without seeing the information, I thought I was not doing very well. Instead, I was pushing past my usual activity level and made some real progress in my ride.

For me, watching my numbers...if I'm in the "acceptable" range or where I think I should be riding, then when I get there, I'm satisfied. This experience made me realize that I don't usually push past what I "think" is OK. Not really pushing like an athlete would.

Anyway, all in all, I learned something that my tiny computer could not tell me and that I've got more in me than I thought. I can push myself and improve! I've got this and so much more!!

The bonus part of the day was my Hubby kept telling me over and over that I'm a really good bike rider. How cool is that?

How about you. Do you limit yourself?

Keep focused!

2 comments:

  1. Hey there friend...I was just thinking about you tonight. I've missed talking to you. We need to catch up!

    Keep on pushing...you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should be working the 12 steps so I can stop binge eating. But I seem to look at recovery like a person would chemo therapy. I stop once I make the diseas go away, but once I stop it comes back.

    ReplyDelete