Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Making a Decision


I'm still a little perplexed about my attitude... Perplexed that I'm stuck...Perplexed about all this fear that is holding me back from achieving my goals.

So the past couple of days I've really been thinking about this. Especially about this fear thing. I've brought this up many times....I keep saying that I'm too afraid, that I have too much fear about moving on with my journey. Finally the other day, I just stopped myself and really asked myself if I was really fearful and truly afraid.

Fear Definition: 
1  : an unpleasant often strong emotion caused by anticipation or awareness of danger and accompanied by increased autonomic activity



Afraid Definition:
1  : filled with fear or apprehension (afraid of machines) (afraid for his job)
2
: filled with concern or regret over an unwanted situation (I'm afraid I won't be able to go)
3
: having a dislike for something (afraid of hard work)


Well losing the weight and getting fit and healthy does not put me in danger. In fact, achieving these things will get me out of danger of dying an early death, saves me from diseases and other things related to being obese. I can't see any unwanted situations coming from reaching my goals. Pretty sure that I won't dislike being healthy and fit. I might be a little afraid of doing the hard work - but I've done it for over 2 years now, so this should not be a problem.

So fear and being afraid are not my problem. Anyway at my age, why should I be afraid of success?

After much thought I realized that I'm not reaching for my goals because of fear and being afraid....It all has to do with my unwillingness to move forward.

What I'm learning during this process is willingness is key to reaching my goals. I can't have my heels dug into the ground and move forward at the same time.


I have to make the decision that I'm going for my goals



I'm not hiding behind the excuse of fear and being afraid any more. I'm making the decision today that I'm picking my feet up and I'm moving forward to my goals. One step at a time!

How about you...Do you have your heels dug in?

Keep focused!

9 comments:

  1. I think we also have the fear of reaching our goal and then not being able to maintain. What will people say? What will people think? I just went to a family gathering not too long ago and a cousin who had lost weight with Weight Watchers showed up and I was shocked at how big she was. She had to have gained 50 lb. or more since I saw her the last time. It's easy to get self-righteous because I have lost weight and I don't want to see myself as doing what she did. I don't kid myself - I could do the same thing. Could that be part of your fear as well? Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so inspiring. Fear has kept me fat for so long. No more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that I have fear of being thinner, and it really messes with my goals. I DO know that my fear is based on some serious things (while being fat is scary too because people pick on you, being thin brings attention from other corners and I find that attention extremely threatening.) So... yeah, I think part of my problem right now is that my heels are dug in. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always managed to get slim - but never managed to STAY slim... and yes, people do stare at you and probably judge you when the weight goes back on. And that is frightening... the risk of achieving something and then letting it slip past your fingers again is a fear that every wannabe-slimmer has to grasp, throttle, and dispell.

    I've loved reading through your blog since finding it yesterday... and have just got to agree with 'legalmommy' - you are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Joy...fear stinks. I know you will go around it or over it and will get past it. Your whole trajectory is forward. Rooting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joy, You've shown a lot of courage in dealing with this fear and you are an overcomer.

    May I suggest you try keeping these statements in front of you somewhere ..... that's if you have not already done so.

    2 Timothy 1:7
    For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

    And I'm a great believer in standing in front of a mirror, looking directly into your eyes and make a suitable positive declaration as often as you can, at least once a day until you believe it without doubts.

    Maybe you could simply say. "I am a courageous woman." or "I have an amazing future."

    You might already have tried this ... If so I'm sorry for being a bore.

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fear seems to be a big part of the weight loss process, including fear of being able to maintain once we have lost. There is also the fear of what life will be like once we are thin, as well as other concerns. I know it has been a hindrance for me, and can do a number on my head. But I also know that we can overcome fear, and once we do, there is a great sense of freedom. I just tell myself to put one foot in front of the other, and the weight loss will happen. I try not to overthink (big problem for me). Glad we're all doing this together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think fear is what is holding a lot of us back from entering unfamiliar territory. While losing weight and getting healthy should be something we strive for, I think I was hoping I wouldn't have to work for it. A huge fear of failing was the reason I put it off for so long.

    Great post and I hope you work through these issues.

    ReplyDelete