Monday, March 19, 2012

Priorities

I read something yesterday on MizFit's Blog that struck me right between the eyes. She highlights a post from Lifehacker about priorities. I would tell everyone, well anyone willing to listen, that I don't have a lot of time to do the things on my wish list. You know I'm a wife, mother and grandmother, I work full time, I'm in the gym or exercising at least 5-6 days per week, I have to do the bills, clean house...blah, blah blah and after all of that I REALLY don't have much time for anything else.

I would tell you that and I believed it!!

Until I read the post from Lifehacker. The point of the article is:

Instead of saying "I don't have time" try saying "it's not a priority," and see how that feels. Often, that's a perfectly adequate explanation. I have time to iron my sheets, I just don't want to. But other things are harder. Try it: "I'm not going to edit your résumé, sweetie, because it's not a priority." "I don't go to the doctor because my health is not a priority." If these phrases don't sit well, that's the point. Changing our language reminds us that time is a choice. If we don't like how we're spending an hour, we can choose differently.

Be sure to read the whole post. But what I got out of it is.....I have some stuff that I really want to accomplish, they are important to me, but I just don't have time to get them done.  What I've done is, I've not put a priority to them. I always say, "I'll do it tomorrow". Have you ever done that? Some of the things on my "To Do" list, have been on the list for years. I'm not getting this stuff done. And I may not have tomorrow!!! I can't be putting this stuff off any more!

I need to set a priority for the things I want to do. And if I don't get them done, then I need to just let them go! And then know....that I made the decision to not achieve or experience that goal.

The other thing....I really don't have time because I don't use my time wisely. Seriously!! At lunch, I listen to the radio and play computer games, I play games on my cell phone and for crying out loud, I even play games on my Kindle. What's up with all of this game playing? Also, I watch too much TV and when I really want to shut down, I read.....a lot!

SO there's time....there's time to achieve my goals. I just need to make time, set my priorities and get some stuff done!!

I don't want to look back on my life and say, "I wish I would have".......Do you?

Keep focused!!!!

7 comments:

  1. I would say that there is usually time you can take from what seems like a useless bit of activity and apply it to something productive, however, you have to be careful with that. Just because I have an extra hour at 9PM where I'm vegging out watching TV or playing a computer game doesn't mean that I have the energy to create an additional painting, or write a chapter in a book, or even clean the bathroom. I think it's important to balance productivity with realistic life. You cannot live every moment productively without burning out, you cannot expect a child not to play and an adult needs that time too.

    Now, if you are spending ALL your time that way and things are slipping away from you, then absolutely, time to back off the useless pursuits and put in place a few that aren't - but don't let everything go. Don't schedule every moment away from yourself either. Balance is the real key, and the race isn't about what you accomplish, but how YOU feel about you, treating yourself right in all aspects of the equation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of these gadgets and fancy phones and social media and games and on and on and on steal our time. Time that we could use for the things that matter. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's good!! i will go check out the post. you have given me something to think about!1

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with that mindset! I am a big believer and prioritizing. My health is #1!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post truly spoke to me! A co-worker literally just asked me if I was going to walk tonight and I began to say I probably won't have time. I caught myself and instead told her I don't know if I'll make it a priority to walk or not. WOW - it does sound different and makes me think it should definitely be a priority!
    Don't give up on the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really appreciated this post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dang... I wish I would have made it more of a priority to SEE YOU when I was there! Maybe you can send me your address because I had one of my special rocks I wanted to give you!!!! ;)

    God bless...
    ~Margene

    ReplyDelete