Thursday, April 22, 2010

Baby Steps, Determination and Patience

The secret to my success so far has been Baby Steps, Determination and Patience. If you would have told me four months ago that I would be journaling my food and water, counting calories, working out 5-6 days per week, working with a trainer and a nutritionist and writing a Blog I would have told you, you were crazy!

But here I am.

The only way I'm here is because of baby steps. When deciding to do this, if I would have looked at the whole picture, of what new changes I had to make, I would have given up even before I started. There were just too many things to change or add to my day. It would have seemed impossible. But you know I just took one thing at a time. Baby steps to journaling, baby steps to calorie counting, baby steps to exercise ~ you get the idea. Before I knew it, I'm doing everything I need to do for my health and it's now my routine. It's what I do. So that's the first step. (In telling this, I kind of felt like Bill Murray in his role in the Movie "What About Bob")

The next thing is determination. When things get tough, my new motto is to "Grit It Out ~ No Matter What!!" Nothing is going to deter me from this goal. Not even a lack of time, money or energy. Not injuries, frustrations or failure. Not work, church activities, family, friends or neighbors will do it. My grand babies could not even knock me off my plan, I am that determined. Well OK they might be able to bump me off a little. They are pretty cute!

I have not had a lot of success with weight loss, so I am no expert here, but I wonder about people who have worked really hard to lose a significant amount of weight only to have gained it all back, plus some. How can that happen and will it happen to me? I wonder if the reason they went back to their old life style is because they lost their determination? I will have to remember this!! I don't want to lose my determination and I never, ever, ever want to go back!

The other thing that I've been thinking about is, in the past, I would have stopped doing everything I'm doing by now because I've not lost the 100+ pounds that I need to lose. It's only been 4 months, (Unrealistic achievement I know, but that's how I used to think). In the past I would have stopped by now and gone back to my old eating habits and inactivity because the journey is too long and too hard. I am wondering what has kept me going this time. I have been amazed that I have stayed on track this whole time. I think this time, I have found patience. I know it took me a very long time to gain all this weight and I know that it will take me some time to get it off and to keep it off. This time I have a peace and assurance that I will make it to the end.

What is your path to your success? Think about it!

Hugs!

1 comment:

  1. It seems like your attitude is right for this fight. I too wonder about the determination. I too fear that yo-yo effect.

    ReplyDelete