Wednesday, April 14, 2010

How to Get Started and Stay Focused

You know this whole weight loss and fitness process is funny. When I first started I thought I was pioneering a new thing. I thought I would be the one who would gain some insight on this whole thing, help spread the word and change a nation. I imagined I would write a book that would help guide people to the "freedom of fat". Well after reading some blogs, books, magazines, listening to TV and radio, reading emails from fitness people, meeting people who've already reached their goals and from watching The Biggest Loser ~ I realized that I am not quite the "weight loss" pioneer as I thought I would be.

I am not the first, the most talented, or even the smartest one out there and I have not even reached my weight loss and fitness goals, yet people are starting to ask me "How did I get started and how do I stay focused?" Amazing!!

Well....What got me started ~ Is I finally decided that it was time for me!!! That I was worth the time, the effort and the money to get this done. I am learning how to say "no" when I need to and I am learning how to prioritize my life so I can get everything done. (This is still a process) Even with the many setbacks and injuries ~ I just keep going ~ staying focused ~ no matter what!

What keeps me going ~ I thought I was brilliant because I had figured this much out by myself, that accountability is key!! I have saturated myself with it!! Here's my list: I am accountable to the Lord, I have given my plan and my body to him. I ask him for his guidance and wisdom each day. He really sees everything!! I am accountable to my sweet husband. He's great because he sees things too and he lovingly keeps me focused and on track. Most importantly, I listen to him and do what he says. I don't ever, ever, ever get offended by what he says. He only wants the best for me!! I am accountable to my kids and grandkids, because I want to be a great example to them and most importantly, I want to be here for them. I am accountable to my friend in Texas who asks me frequently how things are going. She speaks the truth, even if I don't want to hear it. She's watching! I am accountable to everyone at work, they are watching me and are inspired. Many are on their own journey, losing weight and getting fit. I am accountable to my friends who are on the same journey with me, they are watching me!! I am accountable to the new friends I meet at the pool, in the grocery line, walking on the street, at church, etc. People are watching me and I want to be an inspiration to them ~ I can't stop!!

While I was thinking about this I received an email from Jillian Michaels from The Biggest Loser. We are friends you know :-) Anyway this is what she had to say about the matter of accountability:

Is there someone in your life who wants to change his or her life and get healthy? Do you have a friend, coworker, or relative with similar goals whose company you enjoy? Misery loves company, but so do strength and resolve.

Remember the buddy system in the scouts? Same idea here — you create a support system and hold one another accountable. Whether at home or in the gym, having the right person (or group of people) to share your frustrations and progress with is one heck (I did a little editing for Jillian, she needs to work on her potty mouth - I'll talk to her about that) of a motivator.

Without a doubt, pairing up has its advantages. Say you've been talking forever about taking a killer abs class at your gym. Your friend has agreed to try it out with you, and you've both put it on your calendars. The day of the class comes — and it's raining, work was awful, and you just do not want to go. Well, TOO BAD! You made a promise to someone. Working out with a partner is accountability at its best. If someone else is depending on you, it's that much harder to blow it off.

If working out regularly is a big change for you, the more you can stack the deck in your favor, the better. Having a familiar face nearby and knowing that person is feeling the burn right along with you can be just the trick to help you stick with it. That support can be an incredible motivator.

It's Joy again. See I don't really have to write anything new, it's already been said many, many, many times. But the nice thng is, we are all thinking the same thing, we all want to be fit and healthy. Great minds think alike. And with these great minds we are getting together, sharing the news, walking the talk and we all have hope to inspire a nation to change and achieve FREEDOM FROM FAT!!

Do you have an accountability system in place? Think about it!!

Hugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment