Sunday, November 28, 2010

I'm Stuck....

Today I wanted to write about how I feel like a race horse stuck in the starting gate. It's like I'm loaded in the gate, I'm ready to run, I want to win the race, but the gate won't go up. I'm Stuck!!

Well...I thought that was where I am. I thought that before I did my research on race horses and starting gates. Hey, guess what? I'm not ready to win the race, I'm not even ready to run. I'm not ready, because I'm barely in the gate!!!

I found the following information from Horseracing.com (Horse Racing Tips - Editor - 22 October 2007)

I have modified the article to fit where I am today:
Unfortunately, all the sales talk that the gym representatives use to sell gym memberships does not guarantee that a person is going to enter them. Trying to reassure someone that the gym has been out fitted with the best equipment and safety, does not always convince a person of why he or she wants to go there. We have all seen sights of rearing athlete wannabees, bucking and reversing away from the gym doors before a workout. Most people put it down to the person being difficult, but many people have either not been been given the necessary instructional training, or they have had a bad experience in the gym and refuse to enter them again.

Some people are not bothered by the gym, while others are terrified of them. It is solving this phobia that is the key. Working out in the gym is an important part of our health and fitness training. When training, the aim is to ensure that the athlete move towards and into the gym, calmly and unafraid. While in the gym, the athlete, should be still and quiet, as not to cause injury to themselves or others. All this is accomplished by patience, reassurance and trust of their personal trainers.
It is important to first lead the athlete to the gym. Let them sniff around...NO NO NO that is bad!!! Let's just let them gain confidence that nothing about the gym poses a threat. Then start walking them through the machines, weights and treadmills and let them put some time in. After the athlete is comfortable going through their routine, have the athlete do it again. Let them walk through the open gates. Now they are able to go inside the gym and workout for a while before moving on to the next level. All that is left to do, is to close the front gate, they will exercise; walk or run on the treadmill, lift weights, ride the bike or row on the rowing machine. Once they are in the gym, giving it their all, the gate is closed.
When the athlete is completely comfortable to working out in the gym, their trainers often introduce other more strenuous exercises and routines, to simulate the atmosphere of race day. The athlete will then start to learn how to leave their idle ways and be ready for when the gate swings open, first at a walk, then a run and so forth, until he/she is able to break away from the starting gates at a gallop ~ ready to win the race!

That's it my friends, before I can win the race, I have to at least be willing to get in the gate. I've got one foot in, but have not been willing to go to the next level. I put in my time at the gym, but have not put in my best effort. I'm not satisfied standing outside the gate. I want to be in the gate, ready, filled with anticipation for when those gates open, so I can run, run like the wind and win this race!!
Are you with me?

Keep focused!!!

12 comments:

  1. When I first joined a gym over a decade ago, I had not idea what I was doing or what to expect. I think it helped that it was a women only gym and that I didn't work so could go at times when it was not busy. It took a while, but I gradually learned to really feel comfortable there:) Wish they did not eventually go out of business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very insightful post and I totally get it now. I'm not sure why I hover at the gate, never fully going in, but I will figure it out so that I can get in the gate!!

    Let's do this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just joined my gym about a month or 2 ago, and I still haven't used anything but the cardio machines. I know I can do those, so they're safe. Time to push ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post. I have been here 1000 times. I joined the gym a few months back but it really wasnt until I had the mental mindset that it was time to get the weight off that things really changed for me. Before that, every attempt I made failed because I just wasnt ready even though I thought I was! Great post.

    Jennifer
    http://wecanlosethepounds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this post. I'm so gym phobic that I joined several months ago and have hardly been there. I plan to turn over a new leaf and show up, but first I just have to get used to the place. I'll work on it--I really will!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was very hard for me to go to the gym for the first time. Very. I was 220 lbs and I was embarrassed. I felt fat and felt like I stuck out like a sore thumb. Now I go and feel like everyone else. The first step is the longest and hardest. Just do it.
    It's the only way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome post! I don't do gyms. I think I've given up even trying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "It is important to first lead the athlete to the gym. Let them sniff around...NO NO NO that is bad!!!"

    Okay, that cracked me up!

    I remember the first time I went to the YMCA... to exercise in the pool. At 392 pounds. In. A. Swimsuit.
    Yep, Chris is right...ya gotta make up your mind and DO it. You will be glad you did. And proud of yourself, for giving it your all, instead of just clocking time. You can do this. I'm with ya!
    Loretta
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just stopping by to see how you are doing and to send you a smile.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know I should go to the gym (any gym), but the thought of being a 250+ lb woman among the skinny group, just doesn't do it for me. I know that sounds goofy ... but I really feel like I need to lose more weight before going to a gym.

    It is sort of like one of my husband's co-workers, who says she has to clean her house before the cleaning ladies get there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alan (http://www.poundsoffplayoff.com/) has a great post today on staying focused in a multi tasking world. We all need reminders on staying focused, so thanks, Joy!

    I think you did great over Thanksgiving. Having a little cheesecake is not the end of the world. I am so glad that you ENJOYED every bite. Because you should;. You have come far and are committed to this journey. SO, excellent work, my friend.

    ReplyDelete