Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Superpower Day


If I had a Superpower ~ what would it be? I would want incredible vision and wisdom....

I would love to be able to see to the core of someone and find out what's really going on with them. Then, once I see it, I would want to have the wisdom to help them overcome the issues that keep them for achieving what they were created to do.

The other day, I was at the pool with my daughter and grand daughters. We were having a wonderful time, when all of sudden, the noise in the room diminished and everything became surreal. As I was trying to get myself together, I noticed a women on the bleachers watching the pool. She was a very large women, I would say around 400 pounds. I remember feeling so sad that she was an outsider looking in on the fun and that she was stuck on that bench instead of playing in the pool with her kids.

I so wanted to be able to help her. If I could only see what's REALLY going on with her and then provide the proper wisdom...then maybe she could do something about her health and change her life. Wouldn't it be great if she too were in the pool, frolicking and having fun with her kids?

Now I am judging her....her sitting on the bench, may not have had anything to do with her weight...could be that she can't swim, or was having her period, or she just got her hair done...whatever... But if I had my Superpowers I would have been able to see what's going on and would have been able to offer some support....whatever that may be.

I know I've struggled for a lot of years and was always trying to figure out why I chose food to console myself....I was always looking for the reason why I wanted to be fat and stay fat. I would have loved it if someone could have come along and told me the source of the problem and then offered some solutions.

I know, I know....you are probably thinking that it's better that we find our own way, but here's the deal. All the while I was struggling with finding my "why", I do what I do, and being fat for so many years, I wasted so much time. I could have been a better wife and mother, impacted more people, lived life more, and maybe had a little more fun......Instead I was trapped in a body that was too fat to do much of anything...What kind of life is that? How did that benefit anyone?

Now, I'm 50....Finally healthy, getting this weight off and finally, finally living my life. I'm glad I was able to find out my core problems and overcome them and now I'm starting to really live my life....which I am grateful....but I'm really sad that I wasted so much time!!

Wish someone with Superpowers would have shown up about 30 years ago, to help speed up the process!!

I would love to have this gift today, to help others on their journey. Wouldn't that be awesome!?!

If you could have a Superpower....What would it be?

Keep focused!

2 comments:

  1. I would like to be able to be in two places at once. No matter what I do, I always feel like I should be doing something else. If I'm working out, I feel guilty that I'm not home cleaning my house or spending time with my family. If I am spending time with my family, I feel guilty that I'm not out walking...blah, blah, blah. So yes...being in two places at one would be WONDERFUL!!!

    Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah, the 'woman on the bench'.

    That is usually me, watching instead of doing. I have lost some weight, but have a little to go, and yet, i often find myself watching...holding back. My mind needs to catch up with the rest of me, i think.

    If i had a Superpower, it would be to communicate with the folks on the side lines who are heavy; to give encouraging words, to connect with them, and to help if needed. It's a suffocating place to be, sitting on the bench, watching...

    ReplyDelete